Mitral Valve Replacement
When a person has problems with mitral valve in heart, a surgery is inevitable. This is a serious step, and requires responsible approach to the choice of clinic. Where to find a decent place with reasonable prices? Bonifatius Hospital is exactly what you need! This article will answer your questions about mitral valve replacement and our organization.
What is mitral valve replacement?
The mitral valve is located between two heart chambers called the left ventricle and the left atrium. It keeps pushing blood forward through the heart. A surgery may be required if the valve is either calcified and blood can’t move through it, or if it’s too thin and blood starts flowing backward.
Types of surgery
Doctors of Bonifatius Hospital perform almost all kinds of surgeries on heart and can deal with two basic types of mitral valve replacement:
- Open heart surgery. A doctor makes a cut in patient’s chest, and slightly moves rib cage to access the heart. Then the valve is repaired or replaced, cuts are sutured, and ribs are fixed with the help of titanium plates.
- Minimally invasive mitral valve replacement does not require making big cuts or breaking rib structure. This approach is considered to be preferable, because it has shorter recovery period, and decreases the risk of infection.
Robotic mitral valve replacement is one of the most common cardiac procedures nowadays. This is almost the same as a usual laparoscopic (minimally invasive) procedure, but in this case, robotic instruments perform some actions instead of the surgeon assisting in the operation. It allows for making smaller incisions, reducing pain, shortening hospital stay and quickly returning to postoperative state.
Both open and non-invasive mitral valve replacement surgeries are done according to the following algorithm:
- Before the operation, a patient is given general anesthesia to be asleep and not to experience pain.
- Heart-lung machine is used to saturate blood with oxygen and move it through the body.
- To prevent damage of heart muscle, it is usually cooled down, or heartbeat is stopped.
- The surgeon repairs or replaces the damaged valve with an artificial one by sewing it into place and connecting with healthy arteries.
- The cuts are sutured or stitched, and rib cage is fixed with titanium plates (if it has been broken during the surgery).
When the surgery is over, the patient is taken to the intensive care unit for a day or two. Doctors check his or her state, and if everything is okay, the patient has to spend about 3-7 days in hospital. As a rule, it’s possible to start normal activity after the operation, although there may be some limits for sports and fitness.
It’s very important to follow doctor’s recommendations. Thus, if you have gone through mechanical mitral valve replacement, the chance of having blood clots is higher, and people have to take anticoagulant medications for the rest of their lives.
Doctors in Bonifatius Hospital do their best to reduce the risks and negative outcomes of mitral valve replacement. However, some side effects can rarely occur: their chance depends on person’s condition, age and health. The side effects include bleeding, infection, allergy to anesthesia, blood clotting caused by the new valve, failure of the valve or infection in it. The risk of death from the operation is about 3% to 9%.
Why people choose Bonifatius Hospital?
Replacement of mitral valve is a serious step, so you need to find a decent clinic. Where to get high quality of medical help together with agreeable cost of mitral valve replacement? Bonifatius Hospital is an ideal choice! Thousands of patients from all over the world prefer us, because we are worth working with.
Tens of specialists from different spheres and areas work in our hospital together with Prof. D-r Gerald Kolb, our chief medical officer. We use multi-disciplinary approach, which means that the doctors organize regular meetings where patients’ condition is discusses, and individual treatment plans are elaborated. Taking into account experience and recommendations of every specialist, the team manages to choose truly helpful and safe treatment options.
Bonifatius Hospital has state-of-art equipment and devices to diagnose and cure patients with maximum efficiency. Our wards are convenient and spacious, and we provide decent catering for the patients. We ensure 24/7 medical assistance: a nurse can be called whenever patient needs. Besides, we have entertainment options for people to relax and spend time as they want.
Where to find us?
Bonifatius Hospital is located in Lingen, Germany. This is a small town where patients will find peaceful atmosphere and agreeable prices. The trip to this place is affordable for most of our potential clients.