Joint Replacement Surgery
If joints get damaged or rupture because of injury or wearing, they should be removed to solve the problem forever. Don’t know where to find a clinic that can perform joint replacement surgery safely and effectively? Welcome to Bonifatius hospital! Find out how we do such operations, and why patients choose us.
What is joint replacement surgery?
A joint is the place where two bones are connected together (hip, knee, shoulder). Joints can damage and lose their functionality because of injury, arthritis and some other reasons. While aging, a person can have joints worn away. All that causes swelling, stiffness and pain. Besides, diseases and rupture of joint can obstruct blood flow that is needed for bones to be healthy and repair themselves.
Full or partial joint replacement is removal of a ruptured bone and putting in a new one. Such operation is usually done by an orthopedic surgeon. If possible, the whole joint is not removes – damaged parts are fixed instead. A doctor can offer joint replacement to improve patient’s life and relieve pain considerably. Most often, operations are done on knees and hips, sometimes – shoulders, elbows, ankles and fingers are treated.
When is it done?
Only a doctor can define clearly whether you need joint replacement. He will perform X-ray analysis or some other screening. Testing can be done with the help of an arthroscope (a lighted tube) that allows for looking into the joint and getting a sample tissue. As a rule, orthopedic joint replacement is recommended when exercise, walking aids, medications and physical therapies do not help considerably.
Then the doctor will prescribe alignment of joint that is simpler than replacement but needs longer recovery. Today, this is a less common operation, and replacement is the way out when a person can’t move limbs well and has troubles walking, climbing stairs, etc.
How is it done?
Specialists of Bonifatius joint replacement center can perform most traditional and innovative orthopedic operations. Usually, the procedure consists of the following steps:
- A patient is given general or regional anesthesia not to feel pain.
- The joint replacement specialist and his team make opening in the skin and tissues to perform replacement. They use a lighted tube with camera to see the inside of joint.
- Damaged parts of joint or the entire joint are removed, and prosthesis made of plastic, metal, or ceramic material is inserted. The surgeon may cement the joint (recommended for older people with weak bones).
The duration of surgery depends on how much damage there is and what approach is used. Usually it takes less than 2 hours. After the operation, a patient is taken into a recovery room to wake up and get rid of numbness.
Today, minimally invasive joint replacement is considered to be preferable: it requires making smaller incisions, and causes less pain. Recovery period is much shorter, and patients can quickly get back to everyday activities.
In most cases, operation is successful and does not cause any side effects and complications. Even if some problems occur, that can easily be treated. These include:
- Infection that should be cured with drugs.
- Blood clotting. Doctors recommend wearing special stocking and exercising to help blood move faster. If redness and swelling develop and don’t go away, a patient should visit a doctor.
- Loosening of the new joint that causes pain. It requires a secondary operation to reattach the bone.
- Dislocation of a ball in the prosthesis that can be corrected without invasion and fixed with a brace.
- Injury of blood vessels and nerves that may improve with the time being.
Choose Bonifatius hospital
We perform hundreds of orthopedic operations annually and help people with the most complicated joint diseases. What makes Bonifatius hospital one of the best German medical centers?
First, we take pride in our team of experienced and skilled doctors with D-r Gerard Kolb in head. Thanks to multi-disciplinary approach, specialists create effective individual treatment plans. We keep improving our methods and implement innovative techniques in our work.
Secondly, Bonifatius hospital guaranteed perfect conditions for all patients. We have state-of-art equipment, convenient rooms for patients and good foods. Nurses and medical assistants are 24/7 ready to work with patients. The cost of our services, therapies and diagnosis is moderate, so most people can afford treatment here.
Bonifatius hospital is located in Lingen, Germany. Want to become our patient? Just call or email us, and we will give you personal recommendations and arrange your treatment in our center. Bonifatius hospital is always ready to work with clients from all over the world.