Tumor in Spine Surgery
If a person has malignant tumor in the back, most often, it leads to cancer. Most often, such diseases can’t be cured without surgery, and it’s important to choose a well-reputable clinic with experienced doctors to treat it. Find out how specialists of Bonifatius hospital deal with tumor on spine, and why many patients from all over the world choose us.
What is spine tumor?
Lumbar spine tumor is a growth that forms within the spinal canal or bones. Some of tumors are benign, some – cancerous. It appears when some cells mutate and instead of dying, multiply aggressively and disrupt functioning of normal cells. A lump may interfere with different issues causing pain and discomfort.
There are three main spine tumor types:
- Vertebral column tumors appear in the disc or bones of the back and usually affect young adults. They occur rarely and develop slowly, but there is a high risk that they will become cancerous and metastasize into other body areas. They cause serious pain and don’t get better with rest, often being accompanied by symptoms of other diseases (fever, chilling, nausea).
- Intradural-extramedullary lumps form within the spine canal, but don’t affect nerves. Typically, these tumors are benign and grow slowly, causing weakness and pain. Meningioma tumor on spine develops around the spinal cord and tends to be malignant. These tumors are common in elderly women. Sheath tumor in spine grows from nerve roots that come off the spinal cord. Such tumors are benign in most cases, grow slowly, but may cause neurological problems after several years.
- Intramedullary tumors appear inside the spinal cord, or in individual nerves, and often affect the cells that insulate the nervous system. As a rule, these are cervical spine tumor symptoms of which can be severe pain in neck, head and shoulders. Removal of such tumors is quite difficult.
Signs and symptoms
As a rule, thoracic spine tumor symptoms include pain in back and neck together with various neurological problems (weakness and numbness of arms, change of bowel habit and bladder functioning). Spine pain can get worse in the morning, be hard to suffer when there is compression of the affected area. Furthermore, rest and therapies do not relieve the pain, and it eventually gets acute during the night or daytime. Some people complain about loss of appetite and weight, fever, vomiting, shakes or chills. As a rule, tumor on spine symptoms do not improve considerably after any non-invasive treatment and pain becomes unbearable.
As a rule, doctors first try non-invasive tumor on spine treatment like therapies, medications and balms, massage, special physical activities, etc. However, if these methods don’t help, and X-ray analysis or screening shows the presence of tumor, surgery is inevitable.
Bonifatius hospital deals with different types of spine operations, including tumor removal. The goals of invasive treatment are the following:
- To eliminate severe pain that accompanies the tumors by reducing the pressure on nerve roots.
- To improve neurological function.
- To fix instability of spine structure (spinal fusion is used to reconstruct it).
Surgery allows removing a tumor totally or partially and preserving neurological function. If the lump cannot be cut out totally, radiation and chemotherapy will be used to kill the rest cancerous cells.
How surgery is performed?
The process depends on the type of tumor on thoracic spine and complexity of the procedure. A surgery starts from giving a patient general anesthesia and laying him on the abdomen or side (everything depends on the location of tumor and its metastases). Then the surgeon makes an incision above the affected zone, examines the affected area and removes the tumor. Sometimes, minimally invasive approach and robot assistance are applied. It allows shortening recovery period and causing less pain and bleeding. After the operation, tissues are closed layer by layer. Tumor on spine prognosis depends on the type of tumor and stage of cancer. Traditional and minimally invasive operations have the same survival rate.
Why choosing Bonifatius Hospital?
Thousands of patients visit Bonifatius medical center, because we have state-of-art medical equipment and experienced and skilled doctors with D-r Gerard Kolb in head. Our hospital is located in Lingen, Germany, and has agreeable prices for diagnosis and treatment of spine tumors. We use innovative and useful techniques and multi-disciplinary approach to help people even with the most complicated cases.
Contact us via phone or email, and we will give you recommendations and arrange your trip to our Hospital. We are dedicated to our clients, and do our best to restore their health!